Rural Fire Permits

The fire permit season runs all year round and fire permits are required for all types of burning.

To obtain a free fire permit:

  • Sturgeon Residents- Go to – Online Fire Permits
  • Gibbons Residents- Call the Town of Gibbons at (780) 923-3331

IMPORTANT REMINDER: Failure to obtain a fire permit or to follow permit conditions may result in a fine being issued. Also, the land owner/occupant may be responsible to pay the associated costs of Emergency Services should they respond.

Responsible Burning
All open fires and burning barrels, with the exception of campfires used for warming or cooking purposes, are permitted on lots larger than one acre. Responsible burning involves more than just applying for a fire permit. It’s important to know what is acceptable to burn and what is not; and to ensure the fire is under control at all times.

Fireworks Purchase & Possession and Fireworks Discharge require a permit year round.

Things to remember before you burn:
Winds must be less than 15km per hour.
Sufficient tools, equipment and quantities of water readily available for the size of the burn being conducted
When burning in a burn barrel, barrel must be constructed of non-combustible material, free of damage, covered with a metal mesh screen with openings no more than 13mm, be located on a non-combustible base and be located at least 3 meters away from property lines or any combustibles.
You must obtain a fire permit and adhere to all of its conditions.
Take precautions to ensure the fire is under control at all times.
You are responsible for conducting a fire that is safe.
You must attend your fire at all times.
Smoke must not impair visibility on a roadway or highway
Consideration must be given to neighbors to avoid physical discomfort.
Please ensure your fire is completely extinguished.
Fire permits may be withdrawn if environmental conditions change.
Fire permits will not be issued when a County-wide fire ban is in effect.
Non-owners wishing to obtain a fire permit must provide written permission from the landowner.

What you can burn…

“Burnable Debris” means all inflammable waste other than prohibited debris and includes but is not limited to:

  • Straw and stubble
  • Grass and weeds, leaves and tree pruning’s
  • Wooden materials, which do not contain wood preservatives, from construction or demolition of buildings.

What you can’t burn…

“Prohibited Debris” means any inflammable waste that when burned, may result in the release of toxic substances atmosphere and includes but is not limited to:

  • Animal carcass and manure
  • Non-wooden material
  • Waste material from building or construction sites
  • Wood products containing substances for the purpose of preserving wood
  • Combustible material
  • Tires
  • Rubber or plastic
  • Used oil